Thursday, March 30, 2006

Finally !


a row in the database

Might not look like much. But to get that one row into the database, Rajesh and me had to manually muck around with the app for almost 2+ hours to figure out what was happening and why the application was not saving to the database (we were not able to get the loggin to work, so had to work on some error logs)

I guess this is where not having tests and not deploying fast enough leads to problems. I dont have any tests that check the sanity of the system (I felt that they would slow me down) and once I got the application working locally I didnt bother deploying the application onto the FreeOnRails server incrementally to see if it works. Just did a big bang deployment a few days back and was just not able to save the routes. (I cant imagine how huge products are actually coded up this way, without writing tests and not releasing fast enough)

Anyways. Into the early hours of the morning, we finally figured that it was some relationship issue.

Thanks Rajesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home